An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Sunday, April 22, 2012

April 23

OT -- Judges 1:1-2:9
Today we start Judges, one of my all time favorite books of the Bible. At least it was until I started doing this Bible in a Year stuff. Now, I realize how I have cherry-picked my way through Bible readings.
One of the reasons I 'love' Judges is the cast of characters. The book is populated with all sorts of misfits, drunkards, strong women, and downright crazy folk. We'll see if I still feel that way by the time I get finished.
Several of the commentaries that I read about this book say Judges was written during David's reign, mostly as a compliation of the folk stories that the people of Israel told about their leaders during this period. There are 12 judges mentioned, 11 men and 1 woman. Six are described in detail. These 12 judges were not judges so much in the legal sense, they were leaders and covenant enforcers whenever the children of Israel strayed. Miracles and awesome accomplishments are detailed throughout the book.
Also written during this same period (and probably by one of the many authors that contributed to the book) was Ruth. If you have a moment while reading Judges, read her too.

Psalm 90:1-91:16
In church today, Joe B did the children's sermon. The McAdam clan is quite the critic of children's sermons in general but all 3 of us who were there gave it 'the best children's sermon we have heard in a long time, possibly forever'.
It was a submitted question by one of the children -- Gill, I think --, who asked "who named God, God?". OH my Gosh! But Joe B totally rose to the occasion and did a brilliant job. If you want to see it, scroll to minute 17 on the service.




Our psalm today attempts to answer that very same question only it a time sense. If God is timeless, what time was it before there was God?
These are really high, really deep questions that the psalmist asked. If Gill were sitting next to me at the computer right now, I would tell him that he is in very great company. Or else the psalmist is in lofty company of a 9ish little boy who asked the very same question.
Elizabeth preached today and she also picked up on the 'grand' question. She said our very little human minds cannot comprehend the hugeness of God. Every attempt to picture him, leaves something else out. And usually a lot more is left out than in.
The psalmist chose to use the vehicle of a song or chant to express his inability to get his arms around God, the sense of time, the intensity of his anger and the overwhelmingness of his love. Gill used a mailbox. I write this blog. What do you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment