An Appropriate Proverb

There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord.
Proverbs 21:30

Thursday, May 31, 2012

June 1

Okay, we are 5/12 done. How are you doing? Are you reading once a week, twice? Or just every now and then when something I say makes you mad?
Or are you just deleting my emails?
Here is your chance. Jump right back in where we are
OT -- 2nd Samuel 18:1-19:10
NT -- John 20:1-31
Psalm 119:153-176 (heck, skip the psalm until tomorrow. this one has knocked me on my fanny and I am still processing it. Leave it for the next go round)
Proverbs 16:14-15
Don't go back. You start right where we are and commit. If you aren't reading at all, just read the NT. If you are reading once or twice a week, commit to 4 and give yourself a gold star on your calendar when you do it. Let's babystep our way to a greater intimacy with God by upping our time in His Word.
And for those oh, so rare ones who have read them all, keep up the good work but remember, only God is perfect so if you have to miss, it will be okay. I have missed myself.

OT -- 2nd Samuel 18:1-19:10
I am so with Joab in his chastisement of David. Only mine comes from a different perspective. If David loved his son so dang much, why wasn't he in closer relationship with him? I see this all the time in my visitation of the elderly. The son/daughter who is the MOST absent is the one pined for. The faithful daughter/son who comes every single week is almost a 'well, whatever'.
In my mother's family of 15 children, my grandmother loved the worst one the best. She allowed him to take advantage of her to no end. He never visited and when she came to him, he treated her like dirt. Yet, she always longed for him.
I thought it was disgusting. (I was 15 when she lived with us. Everything was disgusting when I was 15.) Now, I just find it sad.
And I find David most sad of all.

NT -- JOhn 20:1-31
There is no ascension in John. I didn't know that. I guess I should have, but I didn't. Instead we have these two viginettes with his disciples.
If we continue with the idea that the book of John was written to illuminate parts of Jesus' character, what do these two say about him?

No comments:

Post a Comment